top of page

Affordable Housing @ PCHA

The Phenix City Housing Authority provides housing assistance for families, elderly, and disabled individuals throughout Phenix City, AL, and Russell County through a variety of programs including Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers/Section 8. 


Public Housing:

Public housing was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities. Public housing comes in all sizes and types, from scattered single-family houses to high-rise apartments for elderly families. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) administers Federal aid to local housing agencies (HAs) that manage the housing for low-income residents at rents they can afford. HUD furnishes technical and professional assistance in planning, developing, and managing these developments.


Housing Authority’s use income limits developed by HUD. HUD sets the lower income limits at 80% and very-low-income limits at 50% of the median income for the county or metropolitan area in which you choose to live. Income limits vary from area to area so you may be eligible at one Agency but not at another.


Click here for more Information about the Phenix City Housing Authority’s Public Housing program

We provide over 700 apartment units at 4 different housing developments across the Phenix City area.  You can find additional information about our homes by clicking here.

Housing Choice Voucher Program/Section 8 and PBV Program:

Our HCV/Section 8 program allows individuals the opportunity to find housing throughout Phenix City and Russell County, AL.   The Project-Based Voucher (PBV) and Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Programs are federally funded housing programs that provide rental assistance to low and very-low-income eligible families based on family size and household income. The participants in this program are free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program including, single-family homes, townhouses, and apartments. A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family's choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. This unit may include the family's present residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the PHA. When the PBV and HCV waiting lists are open, applications are taken online only. Applicants who are selected will be contacted by the postal address or email provided on their application.


The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) sets income limits that determine eligibility for assisted housing programs including the Public Housing, Section 8 project-based, Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher, Section 202 housing for the elderly, and Section 811 housing for persons with disabilities programs. HUD develops income limits based on Median Family Income estimates and Fair Market Rent area definitions for each metropolitan area, parts of some metropolitan areas, and each non-metropolitan county. 

Please click here for more information about the Phenix City Housing Authority’s HCV/Section 8 and PBV programs


Fair Housing:

Please view the information below to summarize your right to fair housing.  The Fair Housing Act and HUD’s regulations contain more detailed and technical information.  If you need a copy of the law or regulations, contact the HUD Fairs Housing Office nearest you.  See the list of HUD fair Housing Office on pages 7-10. 

Click here to view/download the Fair Housing Brochure

For more information about Fair Housing, visit


Reasonable Accommodations:

Special Needs, Requests, and Accommodations

If you have any special needs or have family members with special needs, you may request a reasonable accommodation in order to have equal access to the programs and services of the Housing Choice Voucher Program. Some examples of reasonable accommodation are as follows:

  • TDD or TTY Devices

  • Interpreter for hearing impaired

  • Housing Agency correspondence in an accessible format

  • Home visits for clients that are critically ill or disabled

  • Assistance to persons with limited written comprehension

  • Language translation


If you have a special need due to a disability, you will be asked to submit a written request for reasonable accommodations and if not otherwise obvious, to provide us with documentation of a disability from a reliable medical source. We will make every effort to meet your needs pursuant to federal regulations and to provide any reasonable accommodation.

bottom of page