To best serve our tenants, the Phenix City Housing Authority remains operational during this time and is available during our normal business hours.
For the safety of our staff and our tenants, our Property and HCV Offices are open by appointment only, until further notice. Tenants may call 344-664-9991 to request an appointment or speak to our staff.
History of the Phenix City Housing Authority
On May 24, 1938, after being petitioned by the Citizens of Phenix City and a public hearing being held on the same date, the Board of Commissioners of the City of Phenix City, Alabama, in a regular meeting declared the need for a Housing Authority. A resolution was passed creating The Housing Authority of the City of Phenix City, Alabama.
The organizational meeting of the newly created Housing Authority was held on June 2, 1938, in compliance with the Housing Authorities law of the State of Alabama.
Created to provide safe, decent, and sanitary housing for low and medium-income families in the community. The first application for housing brought 422 units to Phenix City, 216 Riverview Court, and 206 for Frederick Douglass. In 1952, the Authority applied for and received an additional 250 units. 174 units were added to Riverview Court and 76 additional units were added to Frederick Douglass. Today, Riverview Court Apartments has 306 units and Frederick Douglass has 272.
In 1961, a new 200 unit project, spread over 38 acres, was opened in South Phenix City, known as Lucien P. Stough Homes. In 1964, with the need for elderly housing becoming more apparent, a 40 unit project of elderly housing known as H. L. Blake was opened. In September 1979, we contracted for an additional 28 units for our elderly project at H. L. Blake. In 2008, we converted Coweta Apartments into public housing units and renamed the complex, Whispering Pines.
Today, the Agency owns and/or manages 5 developments, Riverview Court Apartments, Frederick Douglass Homes, L. P. Stough Homes, H. L. Blake Homes, and Whispering Pines, totaling 925 units – 745 public housing units, 180 Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) units, and 952 Housing Choice Vouchers (HCV). The Agency currently employs approximately 35 employees.
Enoch Mathews was our first Executive Director serving from 1938-1942; followed by Leo Denis from 1942-1966; followed by J. A. Maddox from 1966-1977; followed by Chuck Roberts from 1977-2004; followed by Judy Hare from 2004- 2013; followed by Mary Mayrose from 2013-2020. Dr. Jason Whitehead is PCHA’s current ED.